Saturday, October 31, 2009

Identifying Allies


Action #8

As time goes on and I get closer and closer to becoming a certified teacher, it is essential that I begin compiling a list of contacts who could become valuable allies when I begin teaching. Over the years, I have been blessed to have come in contact with some wonderful teachers, professors and spiritual mentors. Rather than simply happily remembering them, however, I hope to keep in touch with some of these people. I may very well need these support from these "allies" later on in my life, whether it be in the form of a reference for a job interview or simply good advice when I find myself facing a difficult situation. In fact, I have already turned to several of these contacts on this list for precisely those two reasons. I value the advice my teachers and mentors give me, and am thankful for their willingness to be references on the various job applications I have filled out since starting college!

Here is a list of my "allies":

Contacts at Goshen College
  • John D. Roth (History)
  • Jan Shetler ( History)
  • Kevin Gary (Education)
  • Christie Bonfiglio (Education)
  • Bob Yoder (Campus Pastor)
  • Tamara Shantz (Campus Pastor)
Contacts from my high school, Santa Cruz Christian Learning Center
  • Emily Barlow (Language arts and theater)
  • Kelly Langdoc (Spiritual mentor)
  • Michael Banks ( Youth group leader)
  • Elisabeth Huanquiri (History)
  • Steve Swope (High school principal and Bible teacher)
Miscellaneous, but valuable, contacts
  • Dave Walker (Pierre Moran Middle School, observing teacher)
  • Cynthia Moyer (Spruce Lake Wilderness Camp, employer and mentor)
For example, when I was applying for a job as a counselor at camp this summer, I turned to several of these allies for help as references, including John Roth and Emily Barlow. I likewise was in need of my allies when I applied for my current position as ministry leader on my hall. I am thankful for the support these trusted contacts have given me!

No comments:

Post a Comment